My First Time Visiting Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana

My First Time Visiting Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana


I recently had the opportunity to visit the Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana for the first time. As someone who has always been fascinated with travel and aviation, I was excited to experience the hustle and bustle of this busy airport.

Kotoka International Airport is located in Accra, the capital city of Ghana, in West Africa. The arrival hall of the airport is the area where passengers arriving at the airport go through immigration, collect their luggage and proceed to the customs area. 

 

Arrival Hall

Upon arrival at the airport, I was greeted with a bustling scene at the arrival hall. While it was exciting to be there, I quickly noticed that there weren't enough chairs for everyone. Many people were standing while waiting for their loved ones to arrive.

 

Taxi Drivers

As I made my way to the airport entrance, I saw taxi drivers eagerly trying to call out to potential passengers in need of transportation. It was clear that the airport is a hub of activity and these taxi drivers make a significant amount of money each day.

 

Childhood Dreams of Becoming a Pilot

As a child, I had always dreamed of becoming a pilot. However, as I grew up, life circumstances made it difficult for me to pursue this dream. Even so, I still get excited when I see pilots in their crisp uniforms and am reminded of that childhood dream.

 

Waiting for My Aunty

As I waited for my aunty to arrive, I watched as loved ones hugged and smiled at each other while eagerly waiting for their family members. After standing for over two hours, I decided to visit the nearest restaurant, which happened to be called CHO! There, I enjoyed a refreshing drink and a delicious pie while waiting for my aunty to arrive.

 

Exploring the Airport

After finishing my meal and realizing my auntie wasn't yet there, I decided to explore the airport a bit more. I climbed up to the top floor and discovered that it was actually the departure level. From there, I had a great view of the Marina Mall and the Soho Restaurant and Club. I also noticed that the airport was causing some traffic congestion, which made it difficult for cars to maneuver in and out.

 

Reuniting with My Aunty

After roaming around for a bit, I finally saw my auntie and called out to her. She was actually searching for me as she didn't have a Ghana Sim to call me. We finally hugged and made our way to the car, relieved to finally be reunited.

Overall, my first experience at the Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana was a memorable one. From the bustling arrival hall to the energetic taxi drivers, it was an exciting glimpse into the world of aviation and travel.

  

                                      Additional details to the Airport 

Facilities

Kotoka International Airport has undergone several modernizations and expansions over the years to become a modern and well-equipped facility. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 for domestic flights and Terminal 3 for international flights. Terminal 3 is the newest and largest terminal that opened in 2018 and can handle up to 5 million passengers per year.

The airport has several facilities such as restaurants, cafes, bars, duty-free shops and currency exchange offices. There is also a VIP lounge for business class and first class passengers, a children's playground and a prayer room.  


Transportation

Several transportation options are available at Kotoka International Airport. Taxis are the most common and, as I said earlier, many drivers will be waiting outside the arrivals hall. There are no meters, so it's important to negotiate a fare before getting into a taxi. Some hotels also offer an airport pick-up service, which can be arranged in advance. I often see people writing something on paper.

There are also several car rental companies at the airport, including Avis, Europcar and Hertz. 

 However, driving in Accra can be challenging due to heavy traffic and poor road conditions.

For those on a budget, shared vans and buses are available for transportation to and from the airport. These can be found at the transport terminal, located about a five-minute walk from the airport.

 

Safety and Security

Like any airports, Kotoka international Airport takes protection and safety significantly. There are numerous security checkpoints during the airport, and passengers are required to undergo steel detectors and have their bags scanned earlier than coming into the terminal.

 The airport additionally has a committed airport security group and a police station on website. yes Ghana Airport has one of the tight securities. So by no means plan of gambling around at the airport.

It is important to be aware of your surroundings and keep your belongings close at all times, especially in the crowded arrival hall. Avoid accepting unsolicited help with your luggage from strangers and be wary of scams or fraud attempts.

Comments